Halloween began as a festival of bonfires and costumes to avoid ghosts celebrated by the Celts on the eve of their new year, which was November 1. Fast forward to the Halloween we recognize today, and it has developed into a month-long celebration of haunted houses, pumpkin carving, scary stories, apple bobbing, costume parties, and trick-or-treating on Hallows Eve. Whether you're looking for Halloween gifts for one, candy alternatives for your trick-or-treaters, or party favors, I'm sharing some great ideas below!
Read more about the history of Halloween here.
What Do You Give for Trick or Treat?
Traditionally, an assortment of candy is passed out to trick-or-treaters. I've always loved chocolate, so those sweets were my favorites to receive. If you're looking from something different to do and want to stand out from other houses, add knick-knacks to your Halloween candy bowl, ideas are in the next question.
Shop Halloween Candy Bowls
What Can I Give Out Instead of Candy for Halloween?
Some Halloween candy alternatives to have in your bowl are themed pocket games, bone pens, bubbles, glow in the dark bouncing balls, and light-up rings.
What Do You Give for Halloween?
Any fun-spirited and lighthearted whimsical item celebrating the occasion will do. Below are fifteen Halloween gift ideas that can stand on their own or serve as an addition to a gift basket.
Halloween Gift Ideas
1. Candy Corn Whipped Soap (Similar Style), $15 at The Nesting Doll Shop
This soap not only resembles candy corn it smells good too.
2. Wooden Spoons, $16 at Amazon
These burned spoons are a detailed collector's item for them to hang in their kitchen.
3. Hocus Pocus Mug, $11+ at Mugsby
This mug celebrates a cult classic and the need for coffee.
4. Halloween Socks, $13 at 2 Trouble Boys
Cute and comfy socks are necessary for a cozy night in watching scary movies.
5. Brain Soap, $6 at The Gemini Company
This brain soap makes for a practical and creepy gift.
6. Halloween Coloring Book, $7 at Amazon
They can get in the Halloween spirit and relieve some stress with this coloring book. These Halloween themed crayons would make fun novelty pairing.
7. Cookbook, $13 at Amazon
This cookbook has several recipes for a sweet and spooky treat.
8. Halloween Bark, $40 at Williams Sonoma
These bars are handcrafted with skulls and bones for a special chocolatey treat.
9. Personalized Wine Bottle Labels, $13 at Personalization Mall
These labels make for a simple and easy gift to put together for the hostess of your yearly costume party.
10. Halloween Candle, $20+ at New Moon Beginnings
This candle brews up nice scents.
11. Pet Ghost, $11 at Pixie And Pirate Dust
This glow in the dark pet ghost is a unique gift for kids.
12. Jack-o'-lantern Planter, $45 at Mud and Rust
This handmade pumpkin planter is a cute seasonal home decor gift.
13. Personalized Halloween Cookies, $30 at Williams Sonoma
These cookies give them a personal and tasty treat without you having to bake.
14. Ghost Stories, $11 at Amazon
Share a spooky evening with these ghost stories.
15. Bat Earrings (Similar Style), $11 at Southern Ivy Boutique
Delicate jewelry can give a subtle nod to their favorite holiday.
Shop Halloween Gift Ideas
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen,
the moon laughs and whispers, ‘tis near Halloween.”
What Do You Put in Halloween Gift Bags?
Most of the items that work for a candy bowl can be put into a gift bag. To help spark some inspiration, below are fifteen ideas for Halloween goodie bags.
Ideas for Halloween Goodie Bags
1. Lip Balm, $2 (each) at Anne Fannie
These lip balms have all-natural ingredients and are versatile for anyone.
2. Mini Bath Bombs, $23+ (10 pack) at Snazzie Bombs
These bath bombs come in a variety of classic Halloween icons, from pumpkins to black cats.
3. Bone Pens, $8 (10 pack) at Amazon
A fun novelty to write with during October.
4. Pocket-Sized Games, $12+ (12 pack) at Goodie Goodie Surprise
These activity games make a great candy alternative option.
5. Assorted Lollipops, $2 (each) at Strawberry Hill Candy
These flavorful lollipops are corn syrup free.
6. Cookie Gift Set, $6 (3 sleeves) at The Lakeside Collection
These mini treats are ready to go and packaged to gift individually or inside of a goodie bag.
7. Stretch Skeletons, $14 (48 pack) at Amazon
These skeletons are glittery and stretchy for a fun addition to their goodie bag.
8. Bouncing Balls, $22 (72 pack) at Amazon
These bouncing balls get spooky when they glow in the dark.
9. Bubbles, $2 (each) at Mad Hatter Party Box
These bubbles might just be entertaining enough to distract the kids from it being a candy alternative.
10. Hair Ties (Similar Style), $3 (each) at Morgans Madness Etc
The perfect small addition to a gift bag or basket.
11. Tic Tac Toe Game, $6 (each) at CRDC Creations
Tic Tac Toe with pumpkins and spiders instead of Xs and Os.
12. Light Up Rings (Similar Style), $9 (50 pack) at Amazon
These LED glow rings come in cute and spooky options.
13. Halloween Wind Up Toys, $9 (12 pack) at Amazon
These come in a variety of wind up characters.
14. Wristbands, $9 (35 pack) at Amazon
These bracelets are another hand-out alternative to candy.
15. Halloween Building Blocks, $15 (8 pack) at Amazon
A fun activity to build their toy.
Shop Ideas for Halloween Goodie Bags
Share your favorite Halloween gifts and goodie bag ideas in the comments below. I hope you have a spooktacular Halloween!
Until next time,
Affiliate links may have been used in this post.