What Should Go In a Stocking
The holiday season is in full swing, and you may have everything ready for under the tree, but do you have small gifts covered for the sock-shaped bags hanging from the fireplace? To help wrap up your Christmas shopping, here are answers to common questions and inspiration for stocking fillers.
The Christmas tradition of hanging stockings near the fireplace comes from a legend of a widower with three daughters. Being penniless, he worried they would not marry. Aware of their situation, St. Nicholas snuck down their chimney and put gold coins in the girls' socks that were drying by the fire. This fable has turned into the tradition we know of today.
Read more about the history of stocking stuffers here.
What are Stocking Stuffers for Christmas?
Stocking stuffers can be anything from small gifts to tiny trinkets. They do need to fit in the stocking, so unless yours is the size of a child, yes, they make those, the items should be small. Some great examples, aside from candy and the traditional orange, are gift cards, beauty products, fun whimsical knick-knacks, accessories, novelty socks, gadgets, and tokens of love. Look for items that remind you of them. For more unique ideas, I tend to find Uncommon Goods and Etsy great places to look.
Where Can I Buy Cheap Stocking Stuffers?
You can find these anywhere. Use the search filters on the website you're visiting to set your price below your desired price range. If you're out shopping, retailers such as Target and Kohl's usually have inexpensive small items at the front of the store during the holiday season.
What Can I Put in My Girlfriend's or Wife's Stocking?
These should be something with just her in mind; most ideas for her tend to be in the realm of beauty and relaxation. Bath salts, candles, mini perfume, essential oils, sugar scrub cubes, face masks, novelty socks, fashion jewelry, and novelty cup cozies are some great options. Gift cards to her favorite tea or coffee shop make a great addition as well.
1. Shower Steamers, $20 at The Herbal Zen
These steamers are made with essential oils to give a morning energy boost.
2. Facial Roller, $11 at Amazon
To help improve skin health.
3. Hand Warmers, $13 at Wild Clementine Pets
These warmers can quickly be heated in the microwave and stuffed in her pockets to keep her hands toasty.
4. Sanitizer Holder Keychain, $5+ at VIP Gifts and Promos
There are several options to match her personality.
5. Glass Nail File, $10 at Amazon
A simple and useful gift for her nail care needs. Pair it with a bottle of cuticle oil.
6. Lotion Bar, $10 at Maple Spring Soap Co
Great for moisturizing dry hands.
7. Slipper Socks, $16 at Amazon
These festive socks will keep her feet cozy.
8. Spa Headband and Wristbands, $14 at Amazon
A comfy addition to their face care routine. These wristbands help prevent liquids from running down their arms.
9. Herbal Facial Steam, $8+ at Touch of Herbs
A great addition to her at-home spa.
10. Hair Drying Scrunchies, $14 at Amazon
These scrunchies help with dripping hair.
11. Jewelry Pouch, $5+ at Gen Y Studio
The perfect size to gift a small piece of jewelry in.
12. Aromatherapy Candle (Similar Style), $8 at Amazon
A small or travel-sized candle helps give relaxation.
13. Coffee Cup Cozy (Similar Style), $5 at Craftee Courtnee
The perfect twist to their morning coffee. A Christmas tree option can be found here.
14. Exfoliating Sugar Cubes, $24 at Amazon
These cubes work great, and I like to add them to my mom's stocking.
15. Wooden Sugar Spoon, $12+ at Hearth and Table Co
Perfect for her morning coffee or tea.
Shop Stocking Stuffers for Women
What Do You Get a Guy for Stocking Stuffers?
Travel size cologne, a small beard grooming kit or beard oil, novelty socks, brainteasers, and a small mug with his favorite sports team on it are good choices. You can't go wrong with practical items they'd buy anyway, like cologne or things they didn't know they needed. I once gave my husband a massage ball because his feet are always hurting. It's one of his favorite gifts.
1. Muscle Repair Balm, $15 at Red Barn Botanicals LLC
For the guy that hits the gym.
2. Grill Scraper, $19 at Amazon
Gift him safer grill care with this tool.
3. Chainmail Scrubber, $27 at Non Toxic Home Shop
An eco-friendly and practical gift.
4. Massage Ball, $7 at Amazon
Perfect for a foot massage at home.
5. Watch Case, $17+ at Unique Store 4 U
This leather travel organizer has several color and pocket options.
6. Universal Socket Tool, $13 at Amazon
A convenient gadget to own.
7. Solid Cologne, $14 at Mountain Beast Man
Handmade and organic with a Woodsy Scent.
8. Beard Oil, $14 at Amazon
Moisturizer to help keep their beard groomed.
9. Cinnamon Flavored Toothpicks, $7 at Flavored Toothpicks
If this classic flavor isn't for them, this shop has over 70 to choose from.
10. Wallet Ninja, $17 at Amazon
This multitool can live in their wallet until they need it.
11. Hand Scrub, $15 at Bizzy Beauties
For healthier working hands.
12. Sports Team Mug (Similar Style), $25 at Amazon
Visit the Boelter Brands store page for a larger range of teams.
13. Leather Keychain, $14 at Inblue
Several rustic and sleek colors for every style.
14. I'd Rather Be Hobby Socks, $10 at Amazon
Celebrate their favorite pastime with these novelty socks.
15. Leather Bracelet, $19 at Porter and Hazel
Personalize the inside of this bracelet with a sweet message.
Shop Stocking Stuffers for Men
What Do You Put in a Teenager's Stocking?
Items to showcase personality, brain teasers, and self-care gifts a great for teens.
1. Pocket Knife, $22 at Amazon
A pink camo version can be found here.
2. Detangling Brush, $12 at Amazon
Pair it with fun hair ties.
3. Birthstone Wish Bracelet, $8 at Zen Essence Designs
These bracelets also hold a drop of essential oils for aromatherapy throughout their day. A guy zodiac version can be found here.
4. Acne Stick, $8+ at Youthful Nectar
An easy-to-carry tool for their skincare.
5. Face Scrubbies, $15+ at Luna And Beams
A gift to get their face care routine started.
6. Portable Mini Refillable Perfume, $9 at Amazon
The perfect size for them to take their favorite scent on the go. This 4-pack is great to spit up between multiple stockings or give as small gifts.
7. Star Puzzle, $15+ at Kubiya Games
An intriguing brain teaser.
8. Lip Balm, $4+ at Blue Poppy Bath
For the pizza lover.
9. Coin pouch, $8 at Amazon
Opt for a wallet for the guy teens on your list.
10. Gratitude Journal for Teens, $7 at Amazon
To help cultivate a positive attitude and creativity.
11. Phone Holder, $9 at Amazon
You could also do a novelty phone case.
12. Gaming Travel Cup, $23+ at Hillside Ink
A nod to the gamer with this personalized tumbler.
13. Glitter Body Butter, $18 at Zoey Koko
For the teen that likes to sparkle, glitter is the way to go. For guys, a masculine woodsman bar can be found here.
14. Monogrammed AirPod Case (Similar Style), $25+ at Ox And Birch
A personalized case to keep track of their pair.
15. Cylinder Magic Cube, $20 at Amazon
An interesting take on a Rubix cube and puzzle.
Shop Stocking Stuffers for Teens
What Do You Put in a Kid's Stocking?
Games that encourage educational play and essential items with a novelty spin such as lip balm, lotion, and bath bombs are always a plus. If you're in the realm of sparkles and things that glow-in-the-dark, you've got a good chance there too.
1. French Macaron Lip Balm (Similar Style), $5 at Urban Farmer Girls
A novel way to make a practical gift fun. You can find a fruit loop flavor here.
2. Pez Dispenser, $7+ at Amazon
Pick a character from their favorite TV show.
3. Wood Memory Game (Similar Style), $33 at Play Skills Toys
An educational matching game.
4. Cake Body Lotion (Similar Style), $14 at Kinsey Kakes
Sweet-scented body lotion.
5. Name Crayons, $12+ at Cray Creations Studio
You can do their initials or their full name. For another fun option, check out this giant crazy crayon.
6. Wooden Magic Wand, $10 at The 22 Gemini
A wand is a good addition to their costume play.
7. Novelty Bath Bombs, $8 at Amazon
I got glow-in-the-dark bath bombs for my older nephews. For my younger nephew, I bought a dinosaur bubble bath bomb. There are several other characters available.
8. Wood Slingshot, $13 at Blu Moon Design Jewelry
Hand-carved slingshot with felt balls.
9. Ice Pop Holder, $8 at Daisy Lane Company
The popsicle lover won't freeze their hands with this sleeve.
10. Reindeer Cocoa Mix, $4 at Target
A festive spin on their hot chocolate.
11. Wooden Magnifying Glass, $11+ at Natural Playbox
For the little explorer.
12. Unicorn Thinking Putty, $13 at Amazon
This putty sparkles and glows-in-the-dark.
13. Wood Whistles, $13+ at Shop Treelore
A one-of-a-kind musical toy. You can also opt for a harmonica.
14. Dress Up Bracelets, $12+ at Mama Ps Place LLC
A matching necklace option is available.
15. Wooden Toy Car, $25+ at Timber Wolf Concepts
They'll enjoy racing this personalized push car.
Shop Stocking Stuffers for Kids
What Do You Put in a 2-Year-Old's Stocking?
Small arts and crafts or bath time fun are well-loved items. Look for items in the realm of coloring books, crayons, Play-Doh, mini puppets, bath crayons, and a small stuffed animal.
1. Animal Slipper Socks, $6+ at Stitches By Elizabeth
Their favorite stuffed animal can now be on their feet.
2. Ouchie Owl, $12 at Cody and Kait
This boo-boo bag will comfort them when they get their next owie.
3. Personalized Mittens, $10 at Shayna's Creations Shop
Cozy and convenient to keep track of their mittens.
4. Cloth Books, $13 at Amazon
This book is designed for durability and is washable.
5. Crochet Mini Piglet, $10+ at Pig In A Poke Sanctuary
A new cuddly friend and the purchase gives to caring for pigs.
6. Bath Tub Soap Crayons, $15 at Bee Lovely Botanicals
Scented soap crayons for bath time, oh what fun!
7. Wood Push Toy, $14+ at Marilou Creations
This toy is handmade, and there are several character options.
8. Alphabet Learning Cards, $15 at Target
A great way to learn their letters.
9. Mushroom Kaleidoscope, $18 at Bella Luna Toys
A colorful and imaginative toy.
10. Color Bath Book, $5 at Target
A learning distraction for bath time.
11. Small Baby Doll, $25 at Bella Luna Toys
An organic terry cloth doll.
12. Mini Coloring Book, $6 at Amazon
A good size for on the go, and it would pair well with number fourteen.
13. Swimming Penguin, $5 at Amazon
A fun bath time toy.
14. Rainbow Crayon Ring, $9 at Mama May I
A color learning toy.
15. Wooden Maraca Shaker, $6+ at Katashut
A fun musical toy.
Shop Stocking Stuffers for Toddlers
What Do You Put In a Baby's Stocking?
Bath time fun, stuffed animals, and baby essentials, including rattles, teethers, and sock booties, make great options.
1. Float and Play Bubbles, $9 at Amazon
Bath time fun.
2. Sensory Teether Ring (Similar Style), $20 at Vida Blooms
A soother for the teething baby.
3. Headwrap (Similar Style), $11 at Ever Bee Wraps
This bow is stretchy and adjustable.
4. Wrist Rattles, $8 at Amazon
To help them not drop their rattle.
5. Personalized Stuffed Animal (Similar Style), $46 at Happy Toys By Ann
A sweet keepsake decor item.
6. Ankle Bootie Socks, $15 at Love Phoebe Boutique
A handmade, soft, and cozy pair of socks.
7. Baby Taggie Crinkle, $15 at Sewn 4 You Baby
This sensory lovie is hypoallergenic.
8. Baby Name Bib, $16 at Wiregrass Gifts
There can't be too many of these.
9. Bath Puppet, $14 at Amazon
A silly critter for bath time.
10. Plush Book and Toy Set, $10 at Target
A sensory book and matching soft toy.
11. Elephant Toy, $28 at Bella Luna Toys
An organic terry cloth rattle.
12. Personalized Pacifier Clip (Similar Style), $14+ at JnC Designs Shop
An essential item with a personal touch.
13. Feeder Pacifier, $7 at Amazon
For teething relief.
14. Teething Rub, $10 at Taylors Naturals
Natural soothing oil.
15. Animal Pacifier Holder (Similar Style), $9 at Precious Baby Bags
A soothing cuddly pal.
Shop Stocking Stuffers for Babies
Hopefully, this helps get your stocking stuffer strategy together, and you're now ready to shop. Be sure to share your favorite ideas in the comments below.
Until next time,
Affiliate links may have been used in this post.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.