Wedding anniversary gifts are a time-honored tradition that commemorates the couple and their marriage growth during each year and is symbolized by customary items reflecting the strength and establishment gained. In this post, we'll be covering the traditional first wedding anniversary gift, paper, everything it symbolizes, answers to common questions, and gift inspiration.
For a detailed look and full list of each year, visit our Anniversary Gifts in Years post.
What Year is Paper Anniversary?
Paper is the traditional 1st wedding anniversary gift.
Why is Paper the First Wedding Anniversary Gift?
During the first year of marriage, two lives are intertwining together and becoming one, much like the process of hand-making paper. They are both a fragile blank slate, and with the proper care, can be preserved and a beautiful story written.
What is a Paper Anniversary gift?
Anything made of or related to paper is what makes a paper anniversary gift. Some outside of the box interpretations and complements to paper are personalized wax seals, padfolios, paperweights, and even pens.
What Should I do for My 1st Anniversary?
Creating a time capsule of the past or symbolizing and planning for the future are both great options to signify your love and growth.
Making keepsakes memorable with a scrapbook is a sweet way of capturing where you've been and where you're going. Use photos to mark the timeline of your love story and look back at it together over dinner.
Plan for the future by pairing this bucket list journal with a bottle of wine and making time to sit down and plan out exciting adventures. This scratchable world map can help you keep track and focus on the places you've been and want to go together. Another option is to gift a travel book and pair it with a quick weekend getaway to one of the places to begin your adventures.
What do I get My Wife for Our First Anniversary?
Sentimental and personalized gifts make excellent choices for her. This anniversary book offers a way for her to start documenting each anniversary throughout the years, and this handmade paper card & love note are a great way to capture your feelings in time. Stationery ideas for her include personalized notecards with your family monogram.
Mate for life gifts symbolizes the beginning of your journey together. Cranes mate for life and are a symbol of fidelity in Japanese culture. These origami cranes are a sweet and simple way to say you're mine forever.
What do I get My Husband for Our First Wedding Anniversary?
Try gift ideas that include his hobbies, like tickets to see his favorite sports team and even practical gifts. Stationery gifts for him include books about his hobbies, such as this World War II Newspaper Book, which makes for a gift he's sure to enjoy.
What do You Give for a First Anniversary Gift?
Art pieces make beautiful home decor keepsakes that can always be on display. Flowers made with solid colors, sheet music, or out of maps are sweet and simple reminders of your love. Other unique gifts to incorporate are your first dance wedding song into your home through framed sheet music or sound wave artworks.
Lighthearted and cutesy small tokens of appreciation and mementos can go a long way to celebrate. This personalized puzzle is a sweet keepsake for years to come. It's easy to get in a routine, and romantic gestures such as date night cards and love voucher coupons can help mix it up a bit. Exchanging small gag gifts can also be a fun-spirited option as well as budget-friendly to the wallet.
Stationery items are common paper gift ideas with various options for any budget. Books, notecards, journals, planners, and novelty sticky notes all fall into this category.
There are several specific ideas below by price point for your convenience.
Paper Anniversary Gifts Under $15
1. Our Bucket List Journal, $7 at Amazon
A bucket list journal is great to get all of your dreams aligned and planned for action.
2. Embroidered Toilet Paper, $10 at Can't Sit Still Crafts
This first anniversary toilet paper is a funny keepsake that'll give them a chuckle when they see it.
3. What I Love about Us Fill in the Love Book, $10 at Amazon
This fill-in the love book is a fun-spirited way to share your affection.
4. Custom Heart Map Digital File, $13+ at Earth Squared
Take this digital file to your local print shop, print it out, and put it in a frame.
5. Love Voucher Coupons, $14 at Amazon
These coupons are a playful spin on IOUs.
6. Ticket Stub Diary, $14 at Uncommon Goods
This ticket stub diary is a unique way to reminisce. If you have any old stubs from events together, get a head start, and add them in before gifting.
7. Personalized Recycled Paper Notebook, $13 at La Tua Momis
Add their name or a personal message to this handmade eco-friendly notebook.
8. Book Paper Rose, $14+ at The Bridal Rose
Get a single rose made from a book and cardstock paper color of your choice.
9. Song Lyrics Digital File, $13 at Dots And Prints Designs
This digital file is a sweet memento of your first dance. They can take it to a print shop and add it to a frame once they have the perfect spot to hang it.
10. Custom Handwritten Oragami Crane, $6+ at Letters by Insia
This handwritten love note origami crane is an inexpensive and thoughtful gift.
Shop Paper Anniversary Gifts Under $15
Paper Anniversary Gifts Under $25
1. Day You Were Married Certificate Digital File, $15+ at Custom Photo Montage
A day you were married certificate is a trip down memory lane of events happening during that time. This digital file can be printed out and saved in a scrapbook or displayed around the house.
2. Anniversary Scrapbook Album, $18 at Amazon
Include photos and memories of your past adventures in the first few pages. You can add an element of surprise by including a copy of tickets to your next adventure.
3. Love Letters, $18 at Amazon
Remind them of your love with these situational-stamped cards.
4. Custom Book Stacks, $20+ at Grace and Lace Books
Twenty dollars includes two books; one can be your last name and the other your wedding date. There's also increased book options if you need more room for personalization.
5. Personalized Puzzle, $18+ at Forever Wedding Crafts
Choose your favorite photo together to add to this custom puzzle.
6. Journeys for Two Travel Book, $21 at Amazon
Get inspiration for your next few trips together with this travel book.
7. Date Nights Coupons, $24 at Flytrap Life
Mix it up and keep the ideas for a date night coming in with this date night coupon box.
8. Marital Bliss Card Game, $20 at Amazon
You'll get lots of laughs and a competitive side with this card game.
9. Custom Easel Calendar, $18 at Shutterfly
Gather all your favorite photos and make them a custom calendar.
10. Custom Petite Cookbook, $20 at Pinhole Press
Add all your favorite recipes you like to make together in this personalized cookbook. If there's time to plan, discretely take pictures when you cook!
Shop Paper Anniversary Gifts Under $25
Paper Anniversary Gifts Under $50
1. Personalized Bucket List Journal, $29+ at Transient Books
Keep track of your bucket list together with this personalized journal.
2. Leather Photo Album (Similar Style), $40 at Amazon
Josh gifted this to me for our first anniversary. He went through our photo archive and created a timeline of when we first started dating up to our anniversary.
3. Anniversary Memory Book, $30 at Amazon
This memory book will hold all your special anniversary moments together.
4. Handmade Crepe Paper Rose, $30 at Amazon
This paper rose makes a great keepsake decor item.
5. Customized Sound Wave Art, $45+ at Artsy Voiceprint
This unframed artwork is a great way to display your wedding song. Put it in your own special frame, or upgrade to a framed order.
6. First Kiss Animated Flip Book, $38 at Make Them Flip
This one of a kind gift takes the video of your first kiss and turns it into a flip-book.
7. Scratchable World Map, $40 at The Map Lab
Keep track of your travels together with this scratchable world map.
8. Personalized Puzzles Book, $40 at Uncommon Goods
If they like crosswords and word searches, this book is perfect for them.
9. Song Lyric Synesthesia Art, $52+ at Not Your Sigourney
This watercolor artwork is a unique take on song lyrics.
10. Personalized Story Book, $40+ at Love Book
Capture the memory of how you fell in love with this storybook.
Shop Paper Anniversary Gifts Under $50
Paper Anniversary Gifts Under $100
1. Personalized Embossed Cards, $50 at The Stationery Studio
A classic design for any stationary need with your family name or monogram.
2. Personalized Love Letter, $67 at Paper Jewelry Design
This old world inspired handmade love letter is a great expression of true love.
3. First Dance Song Lyric Photo, $69 at Studio Jones 1
Turn your favorite wedding dance photo into a work of art with your song.
4. World War II Newspaper Book, $80 at In The Book
If they're a history buff, they'll appreciate this time capsule of World War II newspapers.
5. Personalized Life Planner, $55 at Erin Condren
They can stay organized and enjoy personal photos with this life planner.
6. 'Intersection of Love' Photo Print, $75+ at Uncommon Goods
This unframed photo print celebrates when your paths first crossed.
7. Zipper Padfolio, $80 at Things Remembered
This was one of the gifts I got Josh engraved with his name.
8. Anniversary Journal, $85 at Uncommon Goods
This elevated and timeless keepsake anniversary journal has dedicated photo space and pages for each year.
9. Custom Moon Phase Art, $55+ at Our Love Was Born
Display the moon phases of your love story with this artwork.
10. Paper Mache Bird, $85 at Bent Edge Alchemy
This paper mache bird is made from recycled paper and would make a lovely decor piece.
Shop Paper Anniversary Gifts Under $100
Be sure to note below how you and your significant other celebrated your first anniversary. We hope it's an amazing one, and we wish you happiness as you embark on your second year of marriage!
Until next time,
Affiliate links may have been used in this post.